Red Nose and Snotty Nose - Cherry and Almond Cake
Ingredients (makes 12)
In aid of comic relief 2013 and beyond
This recipe is for a 2lb loaf tin!
225g self-raising flour
3 medium eggs
200g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
250g glace cherries (Red / Green)
Optional extra 50g flaked almonds & tsp of almond essence
Preparation Time 25min
Cooking Time 80-90min
Oven Temperature180C / 160C fan / 350F / gas mark 4
The Red Nose and Snotty Nose cake are the same the only difference is the colour of the cherry you use. Glace cherries come in all sorts of colours. The main two you see in supermarkets are the natural and the French Red. Green and yellow are also common in catering but not as easy to obtain.
The basic Red Nose Cake is a standard cherry cake baked in a loaf tin. I prefer the addition of almond flakes and a small amount of almond essence in mine as it gives the cake added texture and flavour. So why not make a cake for Comic Relief and help raise some money for a good cause. You can always combine both the green and red cherries to make the RED NOSE & Snotty Nose cake!!
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180C / 160C fan / 350F / gas mark 4
2. Butter your loaf tin!
3. Now pick your Nose! Or Noses!!
4. in a mixing bowl add the butter, sugar and mix until creamed!
5. Add the eggs one at a time and mix in.
6. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and mix in.
7. Wash and cut the noses (Cherries) in half and dust with a bit of extra flour. Stir the Noses into the mixture. (helps prevent cherries sinking during bake)
8. Add almond flakes and essence (not essential!) and mix
9. Place the mixture into your buttered loaf tin and level out.
10. Place the tin into the pre-heated oven for 1 ½ hours. If using a fan assisted oven cover the cake mixture with foil allowing enough space for the cake to rise. Cook for 1hr 10min then remove the foil and cook for a further 20min or until done.
Green Cherries are available from supermarkets and on line.
If you are not a lover of Almond just leave this out of the mix or replace the Almond Essence with Vanilla. Personally, I think this cake works best with Almonds and Almond Essence.