LEMON DRIZZLE CAKE
4 medium eggs
225g self-raising flour
225g butter cubed (room temperature)
85g caster sugar
3/4 level tsp baking powder
Finely grated zest of one lemon (non waxed lemon!)
Juice of 1 ½ lemons
Lemon sugar syrup:
75g caster sugar
juice of 1½ lemons
Lemon icing (Optional Extra)50g (2 oz) icing sugar
Juice of ½ lemon
You'll also need:
2lb) loaf tin, greased and lined
Preparation Time 25-30min
Cooking Time 35min
Oven Temperature180ºC / 350ºF / Gas Mark 4.
A classic lemon drizzle is lovely for an afternoon tea on a summers day. This fresh,moist, lemon zest, lemon floured cake is a popular cake loved by all.
This classic cake recipe is full of citrus flavour and is perfect for all baking abilities from beginners!
The lemon loaf will keep for 3 days and will freeze well for up to 2 months un-iced.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the eggs, butter, sugar then add the flour and baking powder. Add lemon zest and juice and mix further until smooth. Then add the mixture to a lined loaf tin. Use pre-made liners for ease.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 35 mins, or until golden brown, shrinking away from the sides of the tin and springy to the touch.
- While the cake is still warm, piece the cake with a large barbeque wooden skewer or cocktail skewer. Make the lemon syrup mix together the sugar and lemon juice and pour over the warm cake.
- Leave to cool a little and loosen the sides of the cake, then lift the cake out of the tin.
- Optional Extra Lemon Icing make as per syrup and add to top of the cake when cooled.